Shital Kumari is a student at the Tedi Bagia Government Middle School in Ambedkar Nagar, Agra. But a couple of years ago when the 14-year-old was in Class 5, she almost dropped out, following a bad bout of typhoid, a bacterial infection caused by drinking contaminated water. Staying at home for more than three months because of her illness, Kumari recovered just in time for her final examinations.
Kumari was lucky. But other students of this school who were also suffering from water-borne diseases were not so fortunate. Many had to drop out because of poor health. Read more